Admission to the University

Walla Walla University welcomes to its school family students who wish to obtain a quality education in a Christian environment (Walla Walla University is affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church). Students, faculty, and staff share in the mutual obligation to uphold the Christian philosophy and policies of the University.

It is the policy of Walla Walla University to provide equal educational opportunity without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability or other protected classes as required by local, state, and federal laws that apply to the University. In addition, the University provides equal employment opportunity without regard to age, race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, disability or other protected classes as required by local, state, and federal laws that apply to the University.

Admission Requirements

(U.S. Citizens, Canadian Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents)

(International applicants refer to Admission Requirements and Procedures for International Students)

Walla Walla University practices a selective admissions policy. To be considered for admission to the University, students should demonstrate scholastic achievement, good character, and financial support.

Prospective students must submit a completed application form. Copies of the official form are available from the Marketing and Enrollment Services Office or on the web. Application should be made BY THE PREFERRED DEADLINE FOR EACH QUARTER. THE PREFERRED DEADLINES ARE: AUTUMN QUARTER, SEPTEMBER 1; WINTER QUARTER, DECEMBER 1; SPRING QUARTER, MARCH 1; SUMMER QUARTER, JUNE 1.

The following entrance requirements apply to students entering all bachelor and associate degree programs.

FIRST-TIME FRESHMEN. Students who have not received post-secondary credit from another institution after the summer, or subsequent summers, of their high school graduation. Minimum requirements for admission include:

  1. Official transcript from the high school graduating the student. Transcripts from the accredited high school must be received from the school registrar. Transcripts from an unaccredited high school must be signed and sealed by a designated school official. Home school transcripts must be notarized as an official transcript representing the student’s academic work, and signed by the home school program administrator. High school, unaccredited high school, and home school transcripts must show a cumulative grade point average and date of graduation.
  2. A minimum unweighted cumulative grade-point average of 2.5 for all high school work.
  3. The high school transcript must show completion of the following credits:
    1. English – 40 credits
    2. History – 20 credits
    3. Math – 30 credits* to include Algebra 2/Intermediate Algebra, or equivalent.
    4. Science – 10 credits
    5. Laboratory Science – 10 credits
  4. Transcripts from unaccredited high schools and unaccredited home school programs must demonstrate that all their state requirements for high school graduation have been completed.
  5. Students who cannot provide an official transcript that meets the above requirements 1-4 must provide official GED scores showing a total score of 640 or higher with sectional scores of 150 or higher.
  6. Official copy of the ACT and/or SAT exam scores. These scores are not used for admission decisions. They are used for academic advising purposes.
  7. Satisfactory personal reference. One completed recommendation form from a teacher, school counselor, principal, employer, pastor, co-worker, friend, or non-family person.
  8. Official copy of TOEFL/iTEP/IELTS test scores if English is not the student’s primary language. A score of 79 or higher is required for the TOEFL, 3.9 or higher for the iTEP, or 6.5 or higher for the IELTS to be admitted. English proficiency scores may be waived if the most recent four years of school attendance has been in an English-speaking school in the USA.
*Students who are missing Algebra 2/Intermediate Algebra, or equivalent, can be accepted with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher but must make up the math deficiency. If the math deficiency is not made up before coming to Walla Walla University, they will be placed in MDEV 003.

Occasionally students are admitted into WWU who have a high school grade-point average below 2.5 and/or who lack one or more of the subjects required for entrance. Students with a high school grade point average below 2.5, if admitted, will be admitted on academic probation as listed under Conditions of Academic Probation, during the first term of enrollment. If this requirement is met, the student may continue enrollment on regular basis. If a 2.0 term grade-point average is not achieved during the probationary term, the student is automatically dismissed from the University. If Conditions of Academic Probation have been met, the student may continue enrollment under normal status.

Any student admitted with a grade-point average below 3.25 is required to enroll in GNRL 102 On Course.

A student who has "P" grades (pass grade) on their high school transcript should be aware that in order for a student to meet the First-time Freshman scholarship grade point average criteria they must produce a transcript with a minimum of two years of calculable high school grades from an accredited agency. If a student is unable to produce the required amount,  they will default into the ACT/SAT test score scholarship category.

A student accepted with entrance deficiencies must either make up the deficiencies prior to enrollment or enroll in the appropriate remedial course(s) at WWU. The student should consult the Director of Academic Advisement about specific courses for making up these deficiencies. All students must satisfy the entrance requirements in mathematics before enrolling in any college-level mathematics course.

In order to continue enrollment at WWU, students must make up all entrance deficiencies by the end of the third term of enrollment at WWU. 

In addition to the requirements for admission, the following semester credits are highly recommended for entrance to the undergraduate curriculum:

    Semester Credits
   Foreign Language 20
  Social Studies 10
  Laboratory Science (additional) 10
  *Mathematics 10

*Some departments require 10 semester credits of advanced mathematics, including trigonometry. These departments include Chemistry, Computer Science, School of Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, and School of Business.

TRANSFER STUDENTS. Transfer students are those who have received post-secondary credit from another institution after the summer of their high school graduation. Minimum requirements for admission include:

  1. A grade-point average of 2.00 on all transferable, post-secondary work from all institutions combined.
  2. An official final high school transcript with graduation date from an accredited secondary school, or an official GED score report. GED scores must show a total score of 150 or higher for each section of the exam and a total average score of 640 or higher. (Transfer students who have junior or senior status [90+ quarter credits] are not required to supply WWU with an official high school transcript.)
  3. A student who transfers to Walla Walla University with 30 or more transferable quarter hours will not be required to take the ACT or SAT exam.
  4. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Any student receiving GI Bill®* education benefits while attending WWU is required to obtain transcripts from all previously attended schools and submit them for review of prior credit.
  5. Satisfactory personal reference. WWU requires one completed recommendation form from the most recent educational institution attended. The recommendation form needs to be completed by a former teacher, guidance counselor or school administrator. Transfer students who apply to the WWU School of Nursing are required to submit three completed recommendation forms. Students who have been academically dismissed or have been on academic probation and students who have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony will be required to submit three completed recommendation forms. Recommendation forms may be submitted online.
  6. Official copies of TOEFL/iTEP/IELTS test scores if English is not the student's primary language. Ask the testing service to send these scores directly to the Walla Walla University Admissions Office. English proficiency scores may be waived if the most recent four years of school attendance has been in an English-speaking school in the USA.    

Students who have not previously attended a Seventh-day Adventist college, please see the Religion and Theology section under General Studies requirements.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.

Accredited Colleges. Applicants who have attended North American accredited institutions of higher education and who have official transcripts showing a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 on all course work taken may be admitted at a level determined by the number of credits transferred.

Non-Accredited Colleges. Students transferring from non-accredited institutions may be required to take validating examinations should they wish credit to be transferred to Walla Walla University.

Community Colleges. A minimum of 96 of the 192 quarter hours required for graduation must be taken at a four year accredited college or university.

Vocational or Technical Credit. A maximum of 15 credits of vocational or technical courses, C- or better, taken at a regionally accredited college or university, may be transferred to Walla Walla University as general electives. Credits do not apply toward a major, minor, or general studies.

Foreign Transcript Evaluation. Transcripts received from foreign institutions will be evaluated on an individual basis. In most instances, the student will be required to obtain an official evaluation from a foreign credentialing education service. Any transcript not in English, or where the program is not similar to college/university in the USA, will require a transcript evaluation to be submitted to WWU from an NACES member evaluation service. Accepted courses will be issued a pass/fail grade and will not be calculated into the cumulative GPA for graduation.

Senior Transfer Students. Transfer students with senior standing are required to be in residence three consecutive quarters and complete a minimum of 40 quarter hours, including nine quarter hours of upper-division work in the major and three upper-division quarter hours in the minor, and meet all degree requirements. See minimum residency requirements section of this bulletin.

Engineering Transfer Students. Students enrolled in the Engineering affiliation program will be allowed to graduate under any official Walla Walla University bulletin dated not more than three academic years prior to their first year on this campus. Students who withdraw from engineering studies for a continuous period of one year or more will forfeit the right to graduate under bulletins which were current prior to their withdrawal.

Engineering transfer students applying for admission to Walla Walla University must supply a letter of recommendation from one of their engineering professors at their most recent educational institution attended. Recommendation forms may be submitted online.

Nursing Transfer Students. Refer to the Nursing section of this Bulletin for additional requirements.

Military Credits. Two quarter credits of the general studies physical education requirement will be waived for students eligible for VA benefits. Students who provide an official accredited military transcript listing Basic Training may be awarded a maximum of 6 quarter credits of physical education. The remainder of the transcript will be evaluated as other accredited transcripts. No credit will be awarded for specialty training or vocational programs.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Program. Students who engaged in college-level study in high school through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program can obtain credit toward a WWU degree on the basis of their performance on the higher level IB exam. Students should submit an official IB transcript to the Academic Records Office for evaluation. All IB evaluations will be in collaboration with the appropriate WWU department. Credits accepted will be on a pass/fail basis.

Appeal of Transfer Credit Evaluation. If a student questions the evaluation of their transfer credits they may appeal to the Registrar. The student may be requested to submit a syllabus of the course(s) in question and/or any documents that may support the appeal. If resolution is not met in consultation with the Registrar, the student may petition Academic Standards Committee for a review of their request.

POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS. Students who have completed a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and are not applying for an advanced degree. Minimum requirements for admission include:

  1. A grade-point average of 2.00.
  2. Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
  3. Satisfactory personal reference. Recommendation forms may be submitted online.
  4. If English is not the student’s primary language, then official copies of English proficiency test scores (TOEFL, iTEP, or IELTS) unless graduation is from a four-year English-speaking institution. Request the Testing Service to send these scores directly to the Walla Walla University Admissions Office.

RETURNING STUDENTS. Students who have attended Walla Walla University previously but were not enrolled at Walla Walla University the preceding quarter (excluding summer quarter) are classified as returning students. Returning students must reapply for admission into and be accepted again to be enrolled at Walla Walla University. Minimum requirements for readmission include:

  1. A grade-point average of 2.00 on course work taken at Walla Walla University or a cumulative grade-point average of 2.00.
  2. An acceptable citizenship record while at Walla Walla University.
  3. Official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended since the last quarter at Walla Walla University with a grade-point average of 2.00.

NONMATRICULATED STUDENTS. These are students who are not seeking or ineligible for regular admission and who are not candidates for a degree or financial aid from Walla Walla University. Nonmatriculated students may register for credit for any course for which they have sufficient academic background and teacher approval. By completing requirements for regular admission, a nonmatriculated student may become a degree candidate. Application must be made through the Admissions Office.

GUEST STUDENTS. These are students who have been in residence at other institutions of higher education and who are not candidates for a degree or financial aid from Walla Walla University. Guest students must show that they are in good and regular standing at the university or college to which the credits are to be transferred. The application process is initiated through the Office of the Vice President for Academic Administration.

DUAL CREDIT STUDENTS. Students who are currently enrolled as a junior or senior in secondary school, have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher, have successfully completed Algebra I and Geometry with a C or higher, and who have permission from their high school instructor or principal, may register for selected Walla Walla University courses. Dual credit students are not eligible for financial aid. Application needs to be made through the WWU Academic Records Office. Please see Dual Enrollment Policies in the Academic Information and Policies section of this bulletin for more details.

Admission Procedures

(U.S. and Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents)

APPLICATION. Applications must be completed entirely, to begin the admissions process. Applications may be submitted on-line at School of Nursing transfer students are required to complete a general WWU application which will include nursing specific questions.

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. Request official transcripts from each institution attended and have them sent directly to the Admissions Office of Walla Walla University. Failure to indicate at the time of application that work has been taken at other institutions invalidates the admission process. Undergraduate students must have on file with the University either official final high school transcripts, official GED scores or California state high school proficiency scores. Students who complete a GED may submit official transcripts of all high school work completed. Transfer students who are entering WWU are not required to supply an official high school transcript if they have 90 or more quarter credits. Students already holding a baccalaureate degree are not required to submit high school transcripts. Should transcripts not be received in the time-frame described under the section Registration Without Official Transcripts, student status and financial aid at Walla Walla University may be affected. International transcripts must be evaluated by any NACES member transcript evaluation company. 

Academic records become the property of the University and may be released intra-campus for purposes of academic advisement/evaluation/administration as deemed necessary. Copies or originals of admission documents cannot be released to the applicant. Transcripts, applications and other credentials submitted for admission will be destroyed after two years if the applicant does not enroll.

UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE EXAMINATION. ACT (American College Testing Program) and/or SAT test scores are required of entering freshmen and transfer students with fewer than 30 quarter credits (unless they have been out of high school for five or more years). The ACT Test may be taken upon arrival at WWU. Students without these test scores will be provisionally registered (provided other criteria are met) until they have taken the ACT during a regularly scheduled on-campus test date the first quarter in residence. Please Note: To ensure academic success, English screening of all applicants is a part of the registration process.

All Seventh-day Adventist senior academies in the North Pacific Union Conference are non-Saturday testing centers for ACT. Students not enrolled at these high schools are invited to write or telephone the guidance counselor or principal at the academy of their choice to obtain information regarding participation in the ACT non-Saturday testing program.

PERSONAL REFERENCES. Request one individual, who knows your academic qualities well, and is not related to you, to complete a reference form on your behalf. A possible reference may come from your academic advisor, guidance counselor, teacher/professor, or school administrator. The School of Nursing program requires three completed recommendation forms. Students who have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony will be required to submit three completed recommendation forms. A person recommending you may submit an Online Reference.

Transfer students must be in good and regular standing from the institution most recently attended when transferring to Walla Walla University. A letter of reference is requested from the most recently attended institution. Additional forms are available online.

TOEFL, iTEP, IELTS TEST REQUIREMENT. If English is not their first language, students will demonstrate the ability to pursue studies in the English language by passing the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), the iTEP (international Test of English Proficiency), or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The following scores are required for entry into Walla Walla University:

A score of 79 or higher on the internet-based exam (TOEFL)
A score of 3.9 or higher on the iTEP
A score of 6.5 or higher on the IELTS

In addition to the English proficiency test, students will be evaluated after arrival at Walla Walla University for appropriate placement in English. English proficiency scores may be waived if the most recent four years of school attendance has been in an English-speaking school in the USA.  

Students who supply English proficiency scores and whose first language is not English who are transferring from an English medium secondary school, are required to take Walla Walla University's English Placement Test, which includes a writing sample. If students do not qualify for College Writing courses, they will be placed in ENGL 111- Reading and Writing Review before entering ENGL 121.

LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE. After the applicants' transcripts and references have been received and approved by the Admissions Office, prompt notification of acceptance is sent. Applicants should not consider themselves accepted (and should not plan to reside or work on campus) until official notification of acceptance is received. Applicants may check on the status of their application by calling (509) 527-2327, (800) 541-8900 or by emailing


  • If you are enrolling for six or more credit hours, a $200 non-refundable enrollment fee will hold your spot at WWU. Payment of this fee allows us to confirm your WWU housing arrangements and allows you to register and be placed in classes.
  • A $100 rebate will be applied to your school bill when you enroll at WWU if your fee is paid according to these deadlines:
    • Autumn enrollment - received by April 30th preceding the Autumn term.
    • Winter/Spring/Summer enrollment = received two weeks before the first day of classes for the respective quarter.
  • Students who do not pay the enrollment fee by the above deadlines will lose their placement in classes and will not be allowed to enroll until the fee is paid.

MEDICAL INFORMATION. The WWU Student Life office requires students to complete an insurance form and a Personal Health Assessment record, inclusive of immunization status. Forms are available from the Student Life office or online.

CERTIFIED BACKGROUND CHECK. Applicants who have been convicted of a misdemeanor and/or felony will be required to complete a certified background check before admission to Walla Walla University. The results of the background check will be reviewed by the Walla Walla University Admissions Committee and the admissions committee will make the admissions decision to either accept or deny admission into the university. Nondisclosure of criminal activity may act to invalidate application/enrollment.

Admission by Alternate Means

An individual without an accredited high school diploma who has not completed secondary school may be admitted to freshman standing on the basis of:

  1. Unaccredited Home School

    Students who attend unaccredited home school programs are required to meet state high school graduation requirements for home school students.  An official final home school transcript must be provided to the Admissions Office.  To be considered official, the transcript must be dated, signed and notarized.  Unaccredited home school transcripts do not count towards first-time freshman merit scholarships.

  2. GED Scores

    Average score of 640 on the four sections, with no individual score below 150. All students admitted with GED scores will take placement tests in Mathematics and English to determine appropriate courses.

  3. California High School Proficiency Examination

    Applicants who are under 18 years of age but have successfully completed the California High School Proficiency Examination may be considered for admission provided that (1) a minimum of two years of high school has been completed; (2) written parental permission has been given; (3) the application letter lists reason, goals and objective for acceleration. A copy of this letter will be sent to the applicant's high school principal and residence dean/counselor for their reactions and recommendations.

Admission Requirements and Procedures for International Students

International applicants are welcomed to Walla Walla University when the conditions stated below are met. In many cases, certified copies of certificates issued by the Department of Education or an approved National Government agency or a university examination board will be needed to verify appropriate completion of the secondary level of education. Additional documentation may be required from specific countries. Minimum requirements for admission include:

  1. A completed application form (including the international section).
  2. A completed financial analysis sheet with a bank statement from the financial sponsor verifying ability to pay expenses. Note: Official government scholarships need to include an official letter from the government issuing the scholarship.
  3. Letter of recommendation from one person who knows you well (teachers, employers, pastors, etc. No family members, please). A person recommending you may submit an Online Reference at
  4. Certified copies of your secondary-level certificate, with English translations if necessary. Certificate(s) with passing marks is/are required from a four, five or six-year university preparatory school. Additional requirements include passing scores in government examinations where offered, including English, a natural science, mathematics, and two others from: a second language, science, social studies, literature and religious knowledge. If transferring from a university-level program, please request that an official copy of your academic records (a transcript of marks) be sent in a sealed envelope directly from the university registrar to the Admissions Office at Walla Walla University. International transcripts will be evaluated in conjunction with published guidelines for each country. Any transcript not in English or where the program is not similar to college/university in the USA, will require a transcript evaluation to be submitted to WWU from an NACES member evaluation service.
  5. Official copies of your TOEFL/iTEP/IELTS test scores. Ask the testing service to send these scores directly to the Walla Walla University Admissions Office.

Prior to acceptance into any program and before an I-20 form is issued to international students, an $3,000 (U.S.) deposit is necessary (except Canadian and specified U.S. Trust Territory students). See International Students in the Financial section of this bulletin.