Academic Information and Policies

Academic Policies

Academic policies developed and announced in the course of the school year have the same application as those published in this bulletin. Students wishing any exception to published policy may petition to the Academic Standards Committee. Forms for this purpose are available at the Academic Records Office and online.

Course Load

The academic study load at Walla Walla University is computed in quarter hours, one quarter hour normally representing one class meeting per week or three hours of laboratory work per week. Thus, a three-quarter-hour class would meet three times each week. For each quarter hour of credit earned, a student is expected to spend at least two clock hours a week in outside preparation or three hours a week in supervised study or laboratory work.

The normal course load is 16-17 hours per quarter. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors may register for 18 quarter hours if their cumulative WWU grade-point average is 3.00 (B) or better. Undergraduate students on academic probation will carry a reduced course load.

The following minimum study loads will satisfy the parties indicated; however, in order to graduate in four years the student should take 16 hours per quarter.

Financial Aid 12 quarter hours
Immigration Authorities 12 quarter hours
Social Security 12 quarter hours
Veterans 12 quarter hours


The academic year is divided into four academic quarters: Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Summer. Full-year online registration is available to all continuing students who have obtained Junior or Senior status. Continuing Freshmen and Sophomores may register online quarter by quarter. Registration dates will be announced. Registration is official only after all procedures required by the University have been completed and all fees have been paid. Students who do not receive financial clearance by the deadline will have their registration cancelled and will have to re-register on a space-available basis. 

Faculty advisors are available to assist students with registration and in planning academic programs. Advisor approval is required for class registration. Advisor signatures are required on Change of Registration forms for undergraduate students. In the event of temporary unavailability of the assigned advisor, the student should first consult the department chair/school dean. If the chair/dean is not available, the forms may be signed by the Director of Academic Advisement. It is the student's responsibility to inform the assigned advisor of the action.

Students are not permitted to attend courses for which they have not registered. Students will not be permitted to register for two classes which meet concurrently.

REGISTRATION WITHOUT OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. Walla Walla University recognizes that in some instances a student may not be able to provide an official transcript immediately prior to enrolling at the University. At the University's discretion, some students may be allowed to enroll prior to admission on the basis of work shown on unofficial or incomplete transcripts. Students who have enrolled directly from high school in this fashion will have a maximum of three consecutive quarters to have their official transcripts received by the Marketing and Enrollment Services Office. No further enrollment will be allowed until the transcripts are on file. Transfer students allowed to enroll on this basis must have their official complete transcript(s) on file by the end of their first quarter in order to continue enrollment.

LATE REGISTRATION. Students citing unusual circumstances may register after the designated registration periods; however, they will be charged a late registration fee, and may expect a reduction in course load. Students may register between the 5th and 10th days of the quarter only with permission of the instructors involved.

CHANGES IN REGISTRATION. Changes in registration may be made during the first four days of instruction without charge. Course changes after that require advance permission from the instructor and from the student's academic advisor; there is also a fee for each course added or dropped. Courses may not be added after the tenth day of any quarter.

CONCURRENT REGISTRATION. Concurrent registration at another accredited college/university may occasionally be advisable because of course unavailability or schedule conflicts. Students who are considering this option should consult their advisor and the registrar to ensure that their total course load is reasonable, that the transfer course will not interfere with their Walla Walla University class schedule, and that the course will satisfy the intended requirement. Transfer course approval requests are available at It is the student's responsibility to have a transcript sent to Walla Walla University as soon as the course has been completed. Seniors should not enroll for courses at other colleges without prior approval from Academic Standards Committee (see Residency Requirements in this bulletin).

Students in good and regular standing may request to concurrently enroll in a Whitman College class through a reciprocal program in which tuition is paid at Walla Walla University while the student registers at Whitman College. Some restrictions apply; the program is intended for students who wish to take a course that is not available at Walla Walla University. The application process should be initiated through the office of the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration at least three weeks before the beginning of the term in which concurrent enrollment is desired.

SENIOR REGISTRATION FOR GRADUATE COURSES. Seniors who wish to take graduate (500-level) courses must submit a petition, a copy of a degree audit or a copy of their approved senior outline, and a current transcript to the Graduate Standards Committee for evaluation. Approval to register is based upon the student's background for the course in question and a minimum of 2.75 cumulative GPA. Academic Standards Committee must approve the petition to have the course apply to the undergraduate program. Courses so taken will be marked on the transcript as applying to the undergraduate degree. Seniors wishing to take credit to be applied toward a future graduate program should consult the Graduate Bulletin.

I. Introduction
High school students and their families should thoughtfully consider the options available to receive credit toward a university degree including Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate, and Dual Credit programs. Well-designed dual credit programs can improve high school achievement, increase university graduation rates, and potentially reduce the cost of a higher education degree. However, in some cases AP courses may be more rigorous than a dual credit course. Additionally, dual credit courses may extend over many more weeks than a comparable university course which may convey a false sense of the pace of university courses.
Dual credit courses go on a student's permanent university record, so it is important that the student is ready for the demands of a university class. Furthermore, if a student fails a dual credit course, it could mean the student will not graduate from high school on time. Parents and students should carefully consider the value and risks of any dual credit course before enrolling.

Walla Walla University provides a dual credit program through which qualified North Pacific Union Conference (NPUC) juniors and seniors can enroll in university courses on their own academy campus and simultaneously receive academic credit on their academy transcript and a Walla Walla University (WWU) transcript.

II. Academy

An academy may propose to offer a dual credit course following the qualifications, expectations, and finances as shown below. Proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:

a. Qualifications

To participate in offering a dual credit program, an academy must

  1. Be accredited through the NPUC Department of Education
  2. Have an overall environment conducive to a successful university-level academic experience
  3. Have an administration that recognizes the demands of instructing a university course, provides adequate time for instruction periods (ten hours of class for each credit), and works to minimize schedule changes
  4. Provide adequate facilities, such as a classroom, library, or laboratory, as needed
  5. Make available appropriate materials and equipment for the course
  6. Ensure the university course does not interfere with the overall curriculum nor prevent a student from taking high school courses

b. Expectations
To propose offering dual credit courses, academy administration must

  1. Submit a Dual Credit Request Form for each course the academy wishes to offer to the WWU Associate Vice President for Academic Administration
  2. Propose only 100 and 200 level general studies (general education) courses listed in the current WWU bulletin
  3. Require instructors submit proof of a Master’s or higher degree or equivalent in the academic discipline of the course they propose to instruct as WWU accreditation standards require
  4. Submit requests by December 1 for courses to be offered the following school year

To offer dual credit courses once a proposal is accepted, academy administration must

  1. Ensure students have junior or senior academic standing and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
  2. Verify students are enrolled in no more than two dual credit courses per term
  3. Submit dual credit registration forms to the WWU Academic Records office within one week of the start of each course. First semester courses will be registered as fall quarter courses at WWU; second semester courses will be registered as spring quarter courses at WWU.
  4. Monitor the work load of the instructor to accommodate the expectations of a university course
  5. Evaluate instructor and course effectiveness using the WWU student evaluations system
  6. Arrange for the dual credit instructor to visit WWU at least once annually while the course is occurring on the university campus
  7. Collect the course tuition from each student
  8. Submit to WWU quarterly payment for tuition charges

II. Instructor
Instructors play an important role in supporting student success as well as ensuring the level of academic rigor and classroom environment are appropriate for a university course. A dual credit instructor’s professionalism and individuality are to be respected; he/she will counsel with the university department chair, to the same extent that on-campus instructors do, regarding course outline, text or materials, and evaluation of students. He/she will be expected to meet departmental and general administrative policies (add and drop deadlines, grade reporting, etc., as found in the WWU Bulletin), and to maintain the same quality of instruction as his/her university colleagues.

a. Qualifications

To participate in offering a dual credit course, an academy instructor must

  1. Have a Master’s or higher degree or equivalent in the academic discipline of the course which he/she instructs as WWU accreditation standards require
  2. Be committed to the task of teaching a university-level course
  3. Have a work load that accommodates the time commitment of a university course

b. Expectations
To teach a dual credit course, an academy instructor must

  1. Teach only one dual credit course per term
  2. Complete a brief online orientation for dual credit instructors
  3. Construct a course syllabus using the university syllabus guidelines, including subjects covered, time devoted to each subject, length of periods, days classes meet, text(s), and bibliography, where appropriate, and submit the syllabus to
    1. the supervising WWU academic department chair for approval, and once approved,
    2. submit the syllabus to the WWU distance learning committee at least one month before the beginning of the course for consideration and approval
  4. Use WWU course management software for recording scores and making materials accessible
  5. Keep course materials and scores updated in course management software
  6. Follow the US Department of Education requirement of having a minimum of 10 hours of instruction per credit hour and a total of 30 hours per credit of student effort (including class attendance)
  7. Consult with the assigned university course advisor at least twice during the course
  8. Send a copy of the proposed final exam, project, or paper for review by the university course advisor at least two weeks before the due date
  9. Submit final course grades to the WWU Academic Records Office within one week of the end of the term

III. Student
a. Qualifications

To participate in the dual credit program, a student must

  1. Be enrolled at an NPUC academy and have junior or senior status
  2. Have a cumulative academy GPA of 3.0 or higher
  3. Have successfully completed Algebra I and Geometry
  4. Obtain permission from the academy instructor and principal
  5. Complete placement examinations for some WWU courses (such as College Writing or Math) and receive an acceptable placement score in addition to satisfying the general criteria above

b. Expectations
To participate in the dual credit program, a qualified student

  1. May enroll in a maximum of sixteen WWU credits per year
  2. Must meet WWU registration deadlines that determine the type of credit the student wishes to receive (university, academy, or dual)
  3. Must attend all class appointments and complete assignments on time as expected of “regular” university students
  4. Should plan for two hours of homework/study for each hour of class
  5. Will want to maintain good study habits and time management skills essential for success in college classes
  6. Should seek assistance from his/her instructor when encountering difficulties
  7. Must achieve a grade of at least a “C” in each course to maintain regular academic standing at WWU as a low GPA could result in academic dismissal from the university
  8. Must contact the WWU Academic Records Office before the withdrawal deadline if he/she chooses to withdraw from a course since a student is never automatically dropped from a course and withdrawal could impact academy graduation
  9. Should check his/her course scores and submit assignments as requested by the instructor through WWU’s course management system

c. Finances
To participate in the dual credit program, a qualified student

  1. Pays tuition of $250 per class regardless of the number of course credits in a class or if the student withdraws from the class
  2. Must understand that once a course has started, no refunds are given
  3. Must purchase his/her own textbooks and supplies

IV. University
a. Qualifying Conditions

To begin the process and activate course proposals for dual credit, the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration will

  1. Review the request for dual credit courses received from an academy with the chair of the appropriate WWU academic department
  2. Notify the principal of the academy of acceptance or rejection of the proposed course in a timely manner
  3. Grant approval to offer a given course on a one-year provisional basis
  4. Review and grant subsequent approval of a course, subject to annual evaluation by the chair of the appropriate academic department, on a two-year basis with the understanding that any change in the conditions originally in the application may void the two-year approval and may necessitate new application and a return to one-year provisional status

b. Expectations
To support offering a quality dual credit program, WWU must

  1. Work with the academy to ensure a quality university experience for instructors and students
  2. Provide a dual credit website that includes the following:
    1. Information on dual credit policies, qualifications, expectations
    2. Instructions for academy students, academy administration, academy instructors
    3. Application and registration forms
    4. University syllabus guidelines
    5. The most recent university syllabus for any approved dual credit course
    6. Contact information for course support and technical assistance
  3. Provide online training for dual credit instructors
  4. Evaluate the proposed course syllabus through the WWU distance learning committee
  5. Assign a WWU faculty member as a course advisor
  6. Provide technical assistance with course management software
  7. Provide technical assistance with the WWU course evaluations system
  8. Provide access and instructions for online grade entry
  9. Provide feedback to instructors through the WWU student evaluations system
  10. Arrange for a representative from the appropriate university department at WWU expense to visit each dual credit class at least once during the provisional year. Such contacts are vital for
    1. Encouraging interrelationships with departmental colleagues
    2. Reinforcing departmental academic criteria
    3. Generally enriching the instructor and thereby his/her course
  11. Do a site visit of course location on a biannual basis, if course is ongoing
  12. Record student grades on a WWU transcript
  13. Send an invoice to the academy at the end of each term for the tuition fee for all students 

ADMISSION TO UPPER-DIVISION STATUS. A student may register for upper-division courses provided that he/she has completed 45 quarter hours of university course work, the general studies mathematics requirement, ENGL 121 and 122 or ENGL 141 and 142, and has completed or is concurrently enrolled in either ENGL 223 or HONR 243.

AUDIT. Students may audit classes provided they (1) register in the usual manner; (2) receive prior approval of the instructor , because certain classes and labs may not be audited; (3) pay any special fees, as appropriate; and (4) pay one-half tuition. Students auditing courses are not required to do class assignments or take tests. They receive no grades and no academic credit. The deadline for changing to or from audit status is the tenth day of the quarter. Students may not take challenge or waiver examinations for courses they have audited and may not add the class for credit after the 10th day of the quarter. Students with a Walla Walla University cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.00 and a course load of at least 13-16 hours (excluding audit courses) pay a special fee if their total credits exceed 16 hours. See the Academic Fees section of the Financial Bulletin.

WITHDRAWALS. Students withdrawing from all classes must submit an official University Withdrawal Form to the Academic Records Office. Students withdrawing from individual courses must submit a Change of Registration voucher to the Academic Records Office signed by the instructor involved and the student's advisor. The final date for dropping a course is listed in the academic calendar.

An instructor or department chair/school dean may drop a student from a course during the 100% refund period if the student has not satisfied the prerequisites for the course and the student is informed.

STUDENT DISMISSAL DUE TO POOR ACADEMIC ENGAGEMENT. The university recognizes the important relationship between student engagement and academic success. Any class session missed reduces the opportunity for learning and adversely affects student achievement. Regular class attendance is expected of all students. Attendance requirements can vary by course or academic program, and, in some cases such as clinical labs, student teaching, etc., may also affect a student’s enrollment status in a given academic program.

Any student whose class attendance or completion of academic responsibilities (assignments, quizzes, etc.) show a pattern of little or no engagement may be dropped from all courses and administratively dismissed from the university. Such decisions are made by the Academic Standards Committee in the case of undergraduate students or by the Graduate Standards Committee in the case of graduate students. The Chair of the Standards Committee will notify the student by email at least one week before any meeting for consideration of their dismissal. The student may submit a written statement for consideration by the Standards Committee during the meeting. The Standards Committee will consider the relevant information during a closed meeting and determine whether a dismissal or other consequence is warranted.

The student will be promptly notified of the Standards Committee decision by email. A dismissed student may appeal to enroll for a future term by submitting an Appeal for Re-Admission along with supporting evidence to the Standards Committee.

Other Academic Policies

CHANGE OF MAJOR/MINOR AND ADVISOR. Students who wish to declare or change a major/minor are required to complete a “Change of Major/Advisor” form in the Academic Advisement Office. If the declaration of major requires the selection of a new advisor, the student is required to consult with the Director of Academic Advisement for a new advisor assignment. Students are assigned a secondary advisor for the chosen minor, and the student is expected to consult with the advisor to insure appropriate course selection. Students who are pursuing secondary education certification must consult with the certification officer in the School of Education and Psychology.

CLASS ATTENDANCE. Students are responsible for punctual and regular attendance at all classes for which they are registered. Missing instruction for any reason may jeopardize the course grade.

FINAL EXAMINATIONS. All students are expected to take final examinations as scheduled. Requests for exceptions are to be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration three weeks prior to the close of the quarter. A fee is assessed for each out-of-schedule examination; see the Academic Fees section of the Financial Bulletin.

TRANSCRIPTS. Official transcripts are issued from the Academic Records Office. Transcript requests must be in writing using a transcript request form or personal letter. Forms are available in the Academic Records Office or online. Letters must include the student's ID number or Social Security number, birth date, dates of attendance, signature and return address. Requests for faxed transcripts must include the following statement, “I realize my privacy may not be maintained.” Faxed transcripts are not official transcripts. Transfer credit is not recorded after a student has ceased attendance at the University.

Classification of Students

FRESHMEN. Students who have met the University's entrance requirements and have completed less than 45 quarter hours are classified as freshmen.

SOPHOMORES. Students who have completed a minimum of 45 quarter hours with a grade-point average of at least 2.00 are classified as sophomores.

JUNIORS. Students who have completed a minimum of 90 quarter hours with a grade-point average of at least 2.00 are classified as juniors.

SENIORS. Students who have completed a minimum of 136 quarter hours with a grade-point average of at least 2.00 are classified as seniors. Seniors who can complete all degree requirements during the current school year are eligible for class membership.

POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS. Students who have completed a baccalaureate degree and are registered for work which does not ordinarily apply toward an advanced degree are classified as postgraduates.

GRADUATE STUDENTS. Students who have been accepted into one of the graduate programs are classified as graduate students.

NONMATRICULATED STUDENTS. Individuals ineligible for regular admission or who do not intend to matriculate in an academic program at Walla Walla University are considered nonmatriculated. (See Admission to the University: Nonmatriculated Admission)

SPECIAL STUDENTS. Students who are currently enrolled as students in secondary school and who have permission from their principal to take certain college-level courses are classified as special students.

Academic Integrity Policy

An integral part of the mission of Walla Walla University is to prepare its students to be responsible individuals with Christian values. The University expects all members of its community to have integrity, including a steadfast adherence to honesty. Faculty have a responsibility to foster integrity by example and instruction. Students have a responsibility to learn, respect, and practice integrity.

All acts of dishonesty are unacceptable, including cheating, plagiarism, forgery, misrepresentation, falsification, prohibited collaboration, and prohibited use of files. Departments or schools may have specific criteria for behavior and skills suitable to their disciplines which will be communicated to students, typically in course syllabi.

Any violation of the academic integrity policy will result in disciplinary action. Teachers and administrators will follow approved guidelines which are available upon request in the office of the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration or online at:

Grading System

The grade-point average is computed by totaling the grade points of all courses taken at Walla Walla University and dividing by the total quarter hours for which grades are received. Only the best grade of a repeated course will be calculated in the grade-point average. Default grades of Incompletes are included in the grade point calculation. The AU, IP, NC, S, W, and X are disregarded in computing the grade-point average.

A report of grades is available on the WWU website for students at the end of each quarter. Classes taken for 0 credit may only be graded S/NC.

The following grades are used:

A 4.0 C+ 2.3 D 1.0
A- 3.7 C 2.0 D- 0.7
B+ 3.3 C- 1.7 F 0.0
B 3.0 D+ 1.3 S/NC 0.0
B- 2.7        

In place of grades, the following symbols are used:

I Incomplete
  In the case of incomplete work due to justifiable cause, the instructor may assign a grade of Incomplete, allowing the student an extension of time to complete the course requirements. The Incomplete is not a permanent grade. The instructor for the course also submits a default grade for the course that the student will be assigned if no further work is done in the allotted time, taking into account all the course requirements. The default grade appears beside the I; e.g. IF, ID, etc.
  Submission of all required work is due to the teacher three weeks before the close of the following term (excluding summer session for undergraduates). Graduating seniors must complete all outstanding incompletes six weeks prior to graduation. 
I* Standing Incomplete
  Final grade for coursework not completed within appropriate timeframe.
IP In Progress
  IP grading for certain undergraduate approved courses, particularly courses that extend beyond regular grading periods. Courses to receive IP grading will be approved by Curriculum Committee. Graduating seniors must complete all outstanding in-progress credits six weeks prior to graduation.
IP* Standing In Progress
  Final grade for coursework not completed within appropriate timeframe
S/NC Satisfactory/No Credit
  Indicates that credit earned was satisfactory (C or better) or that the credit was not earned because performance did not meet the minimum standards for a satisfactory grade. Some professional schools calculate the NC mark as an F grade when computing the grade-point average.
W Official Withdrawal
  Courses dropped during the first two weeks of the term will not appear on the student's record. Courses dropped thereafter will appear on the permanent record with a W.
X Unofficial Withdrawal
  Indicates that the student discontinued class attendance prior to the fifth week, mid-term, but failed to withdraw officially.
Z Administrative Withdrawal

AU Audit

GRADE ERRORS AND CORRECTIONS. Grades will be processed and posted online for viewing at the close of each quarter. Upon viewing grades via the secured website, the student should carefully check the accuracy of the courses recorded, quarter hours, and grades. Grades may be changed only if an error has been made in calculating or recording the grade. Students will have until the last day to drop classes during the next regular quarter to report any discrepancies to the Academic Records Office.

Achievement Recognition

DEAN'S LIST. The Associate Vice President for Academic Administration maintains a list of undergraduate students who have earned a minimum of 15 hours per quarter (excluding S credits, IP, and incompletes) and have achieved a grade-point average of 3.50 or better. Students who have earned a GPA above 3.75 appear on the Dean's List of Distinguished Students.

GRADUATION WITH HONORS. Candidates for the baccalaureate degree with the appropriate GPA, both overall and for credits earned at Walla Walla University, will be awarded the degree with the following honors distinction:

3.50 - 3.74 cum laude (with distinction)
3.75 - 3.89 magna cum laude (with great distinction)
3.90 - 4.00 summa cum laude (with highest distinction)

Credit by Examination

Walla Walla University recognizes that students who have independently achieved college-level proficiency on the basis of work experience and study may receive credit for what they already know by challenging, validating, or waiving comparable classes offered by the University. (Certain university classes may not be challenged.)

APPLICATION FORMS. A current student wishing to obtain credit by examination must apply. Permission from the chair of the department in which the course is offered and permission of the course instructor are required. Application forms for challenge, validation, and/or waiver examinations may be obtained from the Academic Records Office. A student must have approval for an exam prior to taking an exam. Fees for these examinations are listed under the heading Examination Fees in the Academic Fees section of the Financial Bulletin.

RESTRICTIONS. The following restrictions apply to all credit earned by examination:

  1. A student must have an approved examination application on file in the Academic Records Office before credit by examination can be recorded on the permanent record.
  2. A student must be currently enrolled before credit by examination can be recorded on the permanent record.
  3. Credit by examination may be earned only if a student has not already earned credit in a similar course, or taken advanced courses.
  4. A maximum of 24 quarter hours by examination may be counted toward a baccalaureate degree and a maximum of 12 quarter hours may be counted toward an associate degree excluding validation examinations.
  5. Grades are issued as on normal test scores, and all grades are recorded on the permanent record of the student.
  6. Examinations may not be repeated.
  7. Repeat course work and F grades are not open to credit by examination.
  8. Students may not take challenge or waiver examinations on courses they have audited.
  9. Examinations must be taken prior to the last 3 weeks of any quarter.
  10. CLEP examinations must be taken prior to the student's completion of a total of 45 quarter hours of university credit.

CHALLENGE EXAMINATIONS. A challenge examination is a university-prepared or a standardized examination which, if successfully completed, will yield regular university credit. The student must take the examination before enrolling for further study in the field of the examination. The challenge examination may not be repeated and must be taken prior to the final quarter of residence. Labs may be challenged by permission of school/department.

ADVANCED PLACEMENT EXAMINATION (CEEB). Regular university credit may be established by successful completion of an Advanced Placement (AP) examination. These tests are graded on a scale of 1 to 5.

Biology 141, 142, 143 General Biology

Students obtaining a 3 or higher on the Advancement Placement Biology examination will be awarded 12 quarter hours for BIOL 141, BIOL 142, BIOL 143. AP credit for Biology may not be accepted by some professional programs.

Chemistry 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 General Chemistry

Students receiving a score of 4 on the AP Chemistry examination will be granted credit for 8 quarter hours of CHEM 141, CHEM 142, CHEM 144, and CHEM 145. Students receiving a score of 5 on the AP Chemistry examination will be granted credit for 12 quarter hours of CHEM 141-146. Credit does not cover Introductory Chemistry and may not be accepted by some preprofessional programs. Credit will meet the General Studies laboratory science requirement.

Computer Science 141 Fundamentals of Programming I and 142 Fundamentals of Programming II

Students obtaining a 3 or higher on part A of the Advanced Placement Examination will be awarded 4 quarter hours for CPTR 141. Students obtaining a 3 or higher on parts A and B will be awarded 8 quarter hours for CPTR 141 and CPTR 142.

English 121, College Writing I

Students obtaining a minimum of 4 on the Advanced Placement Language and Composition examination or the Advanced Placement Literature and Composition examination will be awarded 3 quarter hours as a substitute for ENGL 121. All students must take ENGL 122 and ENGL 223, or ENGL 142 and HONR 223.

History 221, 222 History of the United States

Students obtaining a 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement Examination will receive 8 quarter hours, which will fulfill two quarters of the History requirement.

Mathematics 181 Calculus I

Students obtaining a score 3 or 4 on the AB test will receive 4 quarter hours for MATH 181.

Mathematics 181, 281 Calculus I, II

Students obtaining a score of 5 on the AB test or a score of 3 or 4 on the BC test will receive 8 quarter hours for MATH 181 and MATH 281.

Mathematics 181, 281, 282 Calculus I, II, III

Students obtaining a score of 5 on the BC test will receive 12 quarter hours for MATH 181, MATH 281, and MATH 282.

Modern Language 101, 102, 103 (Introduction and elementary level)

Students obtaining a 3 on the Advanced Placement Language examination will be awarded 4 credit hours (101). Students obtaining a 4 on the examination will be awarded 8 credit hours (101, 102). Students obtaining a 5 on the examination will be awarded 12 credit hours (101, 102, 103).

COLLEGE-LEVEL EXAMINATION PROGRAM (CLEP). Walla Walla University grants credit for selected undergraduate college courses. For dates and specific information candidates should consult Counseling, Testing and Wellness (Meske Hall, phone (509) 527-2147) who administers these computer-based tests by appointment. These tests may not be repeated and must be taken prior to the student's completion of a total of 45 quarter hours of university credit.

A number of subject-matter examinations are offered by CLEP. Students obtaining the scales scores established by the following departments will receive credit toward that basic requirement. Students wishing credit in courses other than those listed below should consult the appropriate department chair.

Accounting 201 Principles of Accounting

Students who obtain a scaled score of 50 on the Financial Accounting test will receive 4 quarter hours for ACCT 201.

Biology 141, 142, 143 General Biology

Students obtaining a scaled score of 54 in the Biology examination will receive 12 quarter hours, which will fulfill the basic science requirement. CLEP credit does not count toward a biology major and is not accepted by most professional schools (dentistry, medicine, etc.)

English 121 College Writing

Students who achieve a score of 50 on the English Composition With Essay Examination will receive credit for ENGL 121. All students must take ENGL 122, or ENLG 142, followed by ENGL 223 or HONR 243.

French Examinations

Students obtaining a scaled score of 50-54 will receive 4 quarter hours in level 101. Students obtaining a scaled score of 55-56 will receive 8 quarter hours in levels 101 and 102. Students obtaining a scaled score of 61 and above will receive 12 quarter hours in levels 101, 102 and 103.

History 221, 222 History of the United States

Students who earn a scaled score of 60 in either or both of the American History subject-matter examinations will receive 4 or 8 quarter hours toward fulfillment of the basic history requirement. The CLEP subject-matter test covering early colonization to 1877 may substitute for HIST 221; that covering 1865 to the present may substitute for HIST 222.

Mathematics 117 Accelerated Precalculus

Students obtaining a scaled score of 55 in the Precalculus Test will receive 5 quarter hours, which will fulfill the basic general-studies mathematics requirement.

Mathematics 121 Precalculus I

Students obtaining a scaled score of 55 in the College Algebra test will receive 4 quarter hours, which will fulfill the basic mathematics requirement.

Mathematics 181 Calculus I

Students obtaining a scaled score of 55 in the Calculus Test will receive 4 quarter hours for MATH 181.

Modern Language 101, 102, 103 (Introduction and elementary level)

German and Spanish examinations: Students obtaining a scaled score of 50-54 will receive 4 quarter hours in level 101. Students obtaining a scaled score of 55-60 will receive 8 quarter hours in levels 101 and 102. Students obtaining a scaled score of 61 and above will receive 12 quarter hours in levels 101, 102 and 103.

Psychology 130 General Psychology

Students who earn a scaled score of 50 on the Introductory Psychology exam will receive 4 quarter hours for PSYC 130.

Psychology 215 Developmental Psychology

Students who earn a score of 50 on the Human Growth and Development exam will receive 4 quarter hours for PSYC 215.

Sociology 204 General Sociology

Students obtaining a scaled score of 50 in the General Sociology examination will receive 4 quarter hours, which will fulfill the basic social studies requirements.

VALIDATION EXAMINATIONS. Students who have transcripts from non-accredited colleges and/or transcripts showing nontransferable college courses may request to take validation examinations in courses which are comparable to those offered by Walla Walla University. Upon successful completion of the examination(s), the student will be given credit as specified.

COURSE WAIVER EXAMINATIONS. A student may meet an academic requirement, within specified limits, by passing a waiver examination at least equal in scope and difficulty to a final examination in a course. Successful completion of the examination waives the curricular requirement, but does not result in credit earned. Thus, it does not reduce the total number of quarter hours required for a degree, but will increase the available number of elective hours. The waiver examination is administered by the department in which the course is offered and may not be repeated. Waiver examinations must be taken prior to the final quarter of residence.

TRANSFER CREDIT BY EXAMINATION. Credit earned by examination at other colleges or universities may be transferred provided such credit meets the guidelines used by Walla Walla University for credit by examination.

Repeat Courses

Students may register up to a maximum of three times for any course in which a grade is recorded on the transcript (includes grades A-F, X, I, IP, S, NC, and W). A course may not be repeated if the original grade earned was a B or better. Academic credit may be earned only once. The best grade will be computed in the overall grade-point average, though all grades remain on the permanent academic record. A repeat course must be taken as a regularly offered class. Challenge examinations and independent or directed study are not allowed for repeat course work.

Students should typically not repeat any course with a grade of C or better. Some programs have specific policies for repeated classes and minimum course grades. Students should consult with their academic advisor before repeating any class.

Financial aid is not available for any course taken more than two times total. Repeating any course is subject to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy and may result in a student not earning sufficient credits to maintain financial aid eligibility (see a financial counselor in Student Financial Services).

Extension Course Work

Extension courses are offered by Walla Walla University on a limited basis. These off-campus courses provide opportunity for academic enrichment, acceleration, and continuing education.

The University accepts extension course credit from other institutions provided the institution offering the courses accepts similar credits toward a degree on its own campus.

Adventist Colleges Abroad

Walla Walla University, together with 13 other Seventh-day Adventist colleges in North America, founded the Adventist Colleges Abroad (ACA) organization in 1967. The ACA program allows students to immerse themselves in the culture and life of the host country and to become conversant in the language. Summer, quarter-by-quarter, and full-year opportunities are available. Presently, students may take a full year at:

Universidad Adventista del Plata, Entre Rios, Argentina


Seminar Schloss Bogenhofen, Braunau, Austria


Faculdade Adventista da Bahia, Bahia, Brazil


  Newbold College, Berkshire, England


Salève Adventist University, Collonges-sous-Saleve, France


Friedensau Adventist University, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany


Istituto Avventista Villa Aurora, Florence, Italy


Middle East University, Beirut, Lebanon


Escuela Superior de Español de Sagunto, Sagunto, Spain


Course Evaluation and Credit Toward Degree
In keeping with typical regional accreditation standards, courses listed in the applicable ACA bulletin and taken while studying through an ACA program are considered in-residence and will be recorded on the WWU transcript. Courses that are listed on an ACA transcript but do not match the ACA bulletin in prefix, number, title, and credits during the applicable year taken, will not be recorded on the WWU transcript. Such courses may be considered as potential transfer credit upon request. Course credit will apply for one of the discipline prefixes listed in the ACA bulletin but will not be allowed for both (i.e. HIST/ENGL 399 - 3 credits, may be taken for either History credit or English credit but not both – 3 credits total). Credit may not be split between discipline prefixes.

Courses will be evaluated based on content rather than course prefix. (Though a student enrolls in Contemporary Religious Outlook with a SPAN prefix, the course will be evaluated as an RELH course at WWU based on content.) WWU/ACA course equivalency information is available in the Academic Records office or online at: 

College Level ACA Program Participation

  • Must have completed at least 16 quarter credits as a regular student of WWU for full-year eligibility.

  • Must pay $100 ACA processing fee prior to application being submitted to ACA.

  • College level students may enroll in a 9-credit summer ACA program without prior WWU attendance, however must pay the $200 WWU enrollment fee and $25 ACA processing fee prior to application being submitted to ACA.

  • Must be competent in the language (minimum: one year of college language or two years of secondary study) – applicable to full-year non-minor programs only.

  • Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the language and an overall GPA of 2.5 or above.

  • Student cannot be on academic probation.

  • Should complete ENGL 121, 122 and a general studies math course prior to studying abroad.

  • Have a good student conduct record.

  • Have an application on file in the Academic Records Office on the appropriate ACA application form.

  • Should expect to take a normal full-time academic load.

  • Should not enroll in more than 18 quarter credits per academic term. Exceptions to this policy must be made in advance. Additional credits reported without prior approval may not be accepted as WWU credit.

  • Understands that by withdrawing from all ACA courses within a term, student will be considered totally withdrawn from WWU. This may affect continuing financial aid and scholarship eligibility.

  • Ability to meet the financial requirements.

  • Loses WWU scholarship eligibility if they attend an ACA program for more than 3 terms, not including summer.

  • Must pay ACA tuition in full in advance, less subsidy and awarded financial aid.

ACA Application Process

Students planning to study under the full-year program must submit a completed ACA application with a $100 processing fee by July 15. Applications may be obtained online at

All applications and payments for tuition, room, and board are to be made through Walla Walla University. Any deviation from this schedule by students of Walla Walla University must be arranged in advance with the Office of Student Financial Services.

Students cannot plan on financial credit for work while residing in foreign countries. The student financial aid officer has information on grants and loans available to students for overseas study. Academic credit may be granted for these studies so that a student may be able to complete a full college year abroad. Prospective students must have successfully completed one year of college French, German or Spanish or the equivalent as applicable, except for Italian. It is recommended that students desiring to participate do so during their sophomore year. Applicants must consult with their major professors, the Communication and Languages Department, and the ACA Coordinator prior to enrollment. The Registrar, the chair of the applicant's major department, and the Academic Standards Committee will determine how the credits are applied.

Academy/High School Student Participation
A student who has not yet earned a high school diploma but is seeking college level ACA credit, may be accepted as a WWU participant in a language program under the following guidelines:

  • Has been accepted as a freshman at WWU and paid WWU enrollment fee; or
  • Has completed six semesters of high school and paid $250 WWU processing fee.

  • Student’s cumulative high school GPA is 3.25 or above.

  • Student must be recommended by the high school principal or vice-principal to participate in the program.

  • Student may not enroll in more than 9 quarter credits per term.

  • Participation is limited to summer programs only.

  • Student understands ACA coursework will be recorded on the permanent university transcript, which may enhance or reduce acceptance to a specific university.

  • Dual credit may be earned for both the high school diploma (at the discretion of the high school) and a university degree.

  • Student is not eligible for financial aid until high school diploma is earned.

  • Payment in full must be received by WWU prior to application being submitted to ACA office.

  • WWU will not bill subsidy. Parents may work directly with employer to determine subsidy eligibility. Some employers may pay in advance to help meet the payment-in-full requirement.